Sunday, May 31, 2009

Learning to Live in the Present

First, I'd like to apologize for those people who loyally follow me on this blog and to those who stop by to read. I am disappointed that I never even took the time to post at least once during the month of May. That goes to show how much this post is really needed.

In a quest to keep a promise to my boys of buying a house of our own this year, I have become somewhat obsessed about it, which has caused me to lose focus on other things of importance. I have let other things go with the mindset that once we move into our house, that I would be able to focus on them again. I now realize how silly that train of thought has been given that there will always be other things that will come up and I have to learn to just make it fit around my other priorities.

One of my main priorities regardless of when I purchase a home, is to get our current home organized. Everything that I have read always seems to point back to the fact that a cluttered house equals a cluttered mind and I couldn't agree with that more. If I don't get things organized now and implement a regular system of keeping things organized, then I will ultimately bring this same clutter to our next place, which would start the viscious cycle over again.

I use to think that being a procrastinator was okay as long as I was able to get things done and produce the same results as if I had done it right away. Unfortunately, procrastination gives room for the unexpected things that always come up, to have a field day and wreck even more havoc on an otherwise simple situation.

I went to a first-time homebuyer's class yesterday and they also had people who were trying to save their home in attendance. It was heartbreaking to hear the stories of people who worked hard to attain the American Dream, only to find out that they had been misled and now might lose their home. But as heartbreaking as it was, not one of them seemed to have the outlook that this was the end for them. They knew where they went wrong and just wanted someone to point them in the right direction so they could keep moving forward. I found it both eye-opening and inspirational. These people tried something and it didn't work out, but yet they didn't let it beat them or define who they are. They made my pity-parties I've been having lately seem more pathetic than what I suspected they already were.

All my life I've been waiting for things to be as close to perfect for me to try new things. No matter what the situation, I have always managed to convince myself why that particular moment wasn't the right one in order for me to move ahead. Well, it's a new day and I'm tired of hoping that the future will bring better results in order to make the present more liveable. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, so living as if tomorrow will come around and be better, only makes you comfortable in the present which means you will never take risks that are sometimes necessary to move you closer to where you are meant to be.

This all being said, I will not only start living in the present, I will now do things that make the present day what I want it to be. Besides my passion for designing, I have always had a love for dance. When I was younger, I had my heart set on taking dance lessons, but the costs couldn't be justified. Over the years, I would fondly remember the times that my sister and I would make up dances to songs and brush it off as just something we did to pass the time away. It has only been recently that I have realized how much I really want to pursue dancing, but again, I let my own fears and doubts creep in and prevent me from pursuing it.

Yesterday, I got over that fear and picked up the phone to set up a dance lesson. They'll teach me a variety of ballroom dances and then my instructor and I will figure out where my true passion is. I already have an idea, but we'll see if his insight matches my vision. I've also decided to stop depending on whether or not I'm able to make it to my sewing lesson as the determining factor of whether or not I sew on a regular basis. I took lessons starting in Jr. High through High Shcool and always had a love for it. I know I'm a little rusty, but that's what practice is for.

Sincerely,

Ebony
(Conquering the world, one stylish step at a time)

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful. Passion is a burden that begets us all. Desire is a cup of cold milk that we look forward to. Moving forward in the now is a lot harder then that plans we have laid for in the when. "Do" is the the most powerful word in the dictionary next to "Done" in my opinion. Keeping rocking in the free world baby, and all the lights will flash as you finish oh so gracefully. :-)

    ReplyDelete